We’re a group of plant enthusiasts interested in gesneriads. We meet each second Saturday of the month in the Portland, Oregon area. Annually, we try to host two plant sales: one in the fall, and another in the spring.
Currently, due to COVID19, we’re meeting online more and have had several meetings while wearing masks outdoors. We hope to return to our regular routine sometime in 2021.
If you’d like to know more, write to us through our contact page or look for us online on Facebook and Instagram.
Current Mt Hood Gesneriad Society Board Members 2020
President: Ann Amato
Vice President: Jaimi Konrad
Secretary: Hal Shrauger
Treasurer: Patti McCarthy
What’s a Gesneriad?
The Gesneriad Family (pronounced either “guess-NARE-ee-ad” or “jez-NARE-ee-ad”) contains over 3,400 species of plants and countless hybrids.From The Gesneriad Society
: any of a family (Gesneriaceae) of tropical or subtropical herbs (such as an African violet or gloxinia) with chiefly opposite leaves and highly zygomorphic flowersMerrian-Webster Dictionary
The family name is based on the genus Gesneria, which honours Swiss naturalist and humanist Conrad Gessner.Wikipedia
Mt Hood Gesneriad Society By Laws
ARTICLE I – NAME
The name of this organization shall be Mt Hood Gesneriad Society, a chapter of The Gesneriad Society, Inc. (TGS).
ARTICLE II – OBJECT
Section 1. The object of the Chapter shall be to provide a beneficial association, through which interested person, by study, discussion, showing and sharing of plant materials, may further their own knowledge and enjoyment, and promote wider interest in gesneriads. The Chapter is organized as non-profit.
Section 2. The Chapter shall, whenever possible, assist in the work of The Gesneriad Society, Inc.
ARTICLE III – MEMBERSHIP AND DUES
Section 1. Any person interested in gesneriads and in the object of this Chapter shall be eligible for membership. Each member shall be encouraged to join TGS.
Section 2. The annual dues shall be established by Standing Rule. Dues are payable at the first meeting of the year.
Section 3. The Treasurer shall notify members in arrears and those members shall be dropped from membership if dues are not paid by June of that year.
Section 4. All persons holding membership will receive an electronic newsletter. Each member may vote.
ARTICLE IV – OFFICERS
Section 1. The elected officers shall be President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. Members shall serve for not more than two consecutive terms in one office, except for the Secretary or Treasurer, who may sever additional terms as elected. At least two officers of this Chapter shall be members of the TGS. The club may extend the number of terms upon a vote of 2/3rds of those present, with prior notice in the newsletter.
Section 2. Officers shall be elected at the Annual Meeting in November to serve for a term of one year or until their successors are elected. They shall assume office at the close of the December meeting. Election shall be by ballot, unless there is but one nominee per office, when it may be done by vote.
Section 3. Vacancies shall be filled by election, except for the office of President, which shall be filled by the Vice-President, with the vacancy then occurring in the office of the Vice-President.
ARTICLE V – DUTIES OF OFFICERS
Section 1. The officers shall perform the duties prescribed in these Bylaws, or Standing Rules adopted by the Chapter.
Section 2. The President shall preside at all regular meetings, and may appoint committees.
Section 3. The Vice President shall preside in the absence of the President.
Section 4. The Secretary shall take minutes of all meetings and be responsible for such correspondence as directed by the President of the Chapter.
Section 5. The Treasurer shall collect dues and any monetary gain from plant exchanges, or sales, pay dues to The Gesneriad Society, and report at each meeting.
ARTICLE VI – MEETINGS
Section 1. There shall be a minimum of six meetings per year on the 2nd Saturday of the month unless otherwise ordered by the Chapter. At the Annual Meeting in November, the number of meetings for the upcoming year may be submitted for change and decided by a majority vote.
Section 2. The regular meeting in November shall be known as the Annual Meeting, and shall be for the purpose of electing officers, receiving annual reports, and other such business that may arise.
Section 3. Special meetings may be called by the Executive Board or any four members with at least a 3 day notice.
Section 4. A quorum is the number of members present at a regular meeting.
ARTICLE VII – EXECUTIVE BOARD
Section 1. The Executive Board, shall consist of the Officers.
Section 2. The Board shall take under consideration all of the Chapter business, and make decisions, including financial. They shall report in writing for the newsletter (if applicable), and separately as well, the actions taken. All bylaws and Standing Rules changes shall be recommended to the Chapter to be voted on.
ARTICLE VIII – COMMITTEES
Section 1. Standing Committees: Hospitality, Raffle, Newsletter, Program, Plant Sale, and Membership. Duties are outlines in the Standing Rules. Standing Committee Chairmen are appointed by the President.
ARTICLE IX – PARLIMENTARY AUTHORITY
The current edition of Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised shall govern all questions not covered by these Bylaws or Standing Rules.
ARTICLE X – AMENDMENTS
These Bylaws may be amended at any regular meeting of the Chapter by a 2/3rds vote, provided that the amendment in question was submitted at the previous meeting, and that the membership was notified in writing following the meeting at which it was submitted.
A. General Information
- The meetings shall be called to order at 12:00 pm, unless otherwise ordered. There is a social half hour before meeting.
- Dues are $7.00 year per person or household.
- A person must be a member to be able to sell at plant sales.
- Only members may vote in any election.
B. Officers Duties
- The President shall preside at all regular meetings; be an ex-officio member of all committees; may appoint committees.
- The Vice President shall be the officer to act in place of the President in their absence.
- The Secretary shall take minutes at the meeting and provide a copy to the president.
- The Treasurer shall pay the Chapter dues to TGS. The Treasurer shall have a copy of the report for the President at the meeting.
- The Editor of the Newsletter is responsible for preparing a newsletter to send out to members a week before the monthly meetings.
- The Hospitality Chairperson will be in charge of light refreshments at each of the regular meetings. The Chairperson will be responsible for the sign-up sheet of volunteers to bring treats.
- The Raffle Chairperson is responsible for describing what is on the Raffle Table, selling tickets, and giving money to the Treasurer. Raffle Chairperson is responsible for having a container to hold tickets for drawings.
- Membership Chairperson is responsible for handing out New Membership forms to prospective members, giving new members their Handbook on the club, and keeping an up-to-date membership list.
- Plant Sale Chairperson is responsible for organizing our club’s plant sale, designating responsibilities to the members of our club.